Sunday, September 5, 2010

"Be thou Humble; and the Lord thy God will take thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers."

By Marcus Southworth

Have you noticed that the world is bright, and the future filled with hope, when you are doing what is right? It seems that all of us feel guided from time to time by a personal, spiritual compass that helps us to discern the things that we should and shouldn't do. When we are true to these impressions, I find that our faith in God is strengthened, our confidence that He is with us improves, and a pattern of answered prayers emerge. This pattern of humility encourages us along life’s path.  Our capacity to meet life’s challenges expands and our faith grows. 

Nevertheless, there is a human condition that nibbles away at our commitment and our desire to do what is right. Despite our moments of perfect obedience or simple acts of kindness, most of us come back down from the mountain. Sometimes our descent is enshrouded with pride and glitter of our great accomplishments. Sometimes, that weary descent is in abject defeat where we wallow in our hopeless state. Whether the descent is in glory or defeat, the fact remains, we are descending. This struggle brings a thought to my mind, why can't I persist in an even, constant, and everlasting path leading upward? Why must I come down from the mountain?

I suppose that we are all subject to emotional, physical, mental and spiritual distractions. That is why, when one of us rises above those challenges, and transcends the gnawing pain of complacency, we set them on a pedestal-- because we want to be like them. When I was 17 years old, I dreamed of being great at something. I pondered and wondered about great men and women and what sets them apart from the rest. I chose several as my personal heroes.  I learned and pondered about the lives they lived and what obstacles they may have experienced.  In that thoughful condition, late one night, I penned this short verse:

"Men who meet the challenge when mountains thwart the path,

Courage drives them upward, oh what strength they have.

Secondary to the instant, pain beckoning to stop,

Writhing muscles reminding, of the men they're not.

Many men have lost their dreams when obstacles begotten, 

And many more have given in, phobic of faulty piton.

But these my friends, undaunted still, their faith is everlasting,

Incrementing faith and power as each mountain they are mastering."

David, the son of Jesse, saw Goliath the giant, parading back and forth, taunting the army of Israel. The scriptures state that the soldiers fled from before the giant and were afraid. But David said, "who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?"  
(Old Testament 1 Samuel 17:26)

 

David was not even a soldier. He was a shepherd boy whose father sent him to bring bread and cheeses to his brothers and to the captains of men who were sitting on a hillside watching the giant Goliath parading back and forth. This was not his job, it was not his fight, yet he could not be silenced. His words were heard by those around him who marveled at his great faith and courage. Those that overheard the boy were astonished at his faith and took him before King Saul. 

 

David said to the King, "Let no man's heart fail because of him; thy servant will go and fight with this Philistine." Saul said to David, "You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him; for thou art but a youth, and he a man of war from his youth." David explained to Saul that God had delivered him out of the paw of a lion and the paw of a bear, "he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine." Saul, convinced of David's resolve said, "Go and the Lord be with thee."

I marvel at what appears to be a pattern that the Lord God uses to show forth his great strength and power through the weak and simple of the earth. The army of Israel witnessed a great miracle that day when the shepherd boy, without shield, without armor, or sword, defeated the war hardened giant. David helped them all remember that God is at the helm. He knew that he would not be defeated by the giant. He knew that God would help him to succeed.

I refer now back to the title of this article: "Be ye humble, and the Lord thy God will take thee by the hand and give thee answer to thy prayers." I marvel at David's humility. I suppose if David were not in a humble, modest state he could not have spoken those mighty words or done those mighty deeds. For he was not attracted or motivated by earthly recognition or reward. Neither was he persuaded by Saul, to wear the king's armor to fight Goliath. After Saul had placed his helmet, his armor, sword and shield upon David, the youth said, "I cannot go with these for I have not proved them. And David put them off him." At this humbling, scary moment, "he took his staff in his hand, and chose him five smooth stones out of the brook and put them in a shepherd's bag which he had, even in a scrip; and his sling was in his hand; and he drew near to the Philistine." When we are humble, we do things the Lord's way. The way of man must be set aside for that harrowing moment when we hear a “still small voice” reveal God's will concerning us. At this humble moment, we are not impressed by the world or the beauty thereof. Our eyes are set upon God, and we listen to the things that he tells us to do.

Being valiant, faithful, true and courageous is not something that you do with money, great learning, political office or strategic positioning. We are valiant, true and courageous because of Him in whom we trust. We know that he knows us, and that he loves us.  We know him from personal experience, and we trust him enough to do his will. 

 

Over time, our trust is proven as was David's. David told Saul that God had supported him before, and he rehearsed with Saul those circumstances; and then, David said, “moreover, the Lord that delivered me out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine." His confidence had grown strong because of this constant pattern in his life. When he was in trouble, he relied on God and God did not let him down. David knew what it meant to have God "lead him by the hand and give him answer to his prayers." 

I find myself from time to time faced with a Goliath of some sort, proven in battle, and frightening in his demeanor. It is not always a person, most of the time it is a circumstance, a problem, a challenge, or a great mountain that I am ill-suited to climb or to circumnavigate. Sometimes, I feel that I just don't have the level of personal capacity to see my way through. It is at these times that I feel myself draw closer to my Heavenly Father. I call out to him in private prayer. I reason with him and ask him for deliverance. I pray for guidance.  I listen carefully and try to hear his instructions and to follow them. It is at these times that I am most able to see the hand of the Lord in my life. Often, I proceed as if he is there. I know that he listens to every faithful prayer, uttered in simple humility. This personal knowledge is my possession, it is part of me. It has been proven through years of my experience as I have seen God's hand work in my life and in the lives of others. 

 

“God is no respecter of persons.”  He hears everyone. We all have the same access to him.  He loves us all. We are his children. He is teaching us and calling each of us in his own way to return home. Jesus taught, "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." (Doctrine and Covenants 88:63) John the revelator exposed a similar truth, "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock; if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and sup with him, and he with me." (Revelations 3:20)

 

I would like to share with you several personal experiences that have, over time, helped me to increase my faith and trust in the Lord.  I have chosen to do this in chapter form.  That way, we can walk together through some of my personal challenges.  Getting to know some of the deep waters and threatening giants that I have had to deal with in my life may inspire and lift you to do things you would not otherwise try.  Perhaps you will find similarities in your own life.  I hope that we can marvel together at how God is able to help us in whatever circumstance that we may find ourselves in.   

 

If he can help someone like me, he certainly can help you.  Others of you may have already trodden similar paths. You have seen the Lord perform his mighty miracles in your own life.  In which case, we can rejoice together in knowing that there is a God in Heaven and that hears and answers our humble petition to save us.  

 

We all have heard the words which the angel spoke to the unwedded Mary when she was told that she would bear a child:  “With God nothing is impossible”.  I have learned this for myself to be wonderfully true.  If God is with us, nothing is out of reach.  Anything is possible.

No comments: